Please read carefully and follow these instructions to prepare for your upcoming surgery.
• Notify your surgeon if you develop symptoms of a cold, fever, or other illness as it may be necessary to postpone
• DO NOT EAT ANYTHING (including chewing gum or chewing tobacco) after midnight the night before surgery unless you have been otherwise instructed. This is extremely important and noncompliance could result in postponement of your surgery. You may have water until 4 hours before your arrival. You may brush your teeth the morning of surgery but please spit everything out.
• If you have received pre-operative prescriptions, have them filled before your surgery day and bring them with you.
• Notify your physician of any medications you are taking. The doctor will advise you whether or not to take the medication the morning of surgery. If you are advised to take your medications the morning of surgery, do this with a small amount of water. Patients who are using medical cannabis by prescription may continue to use as directed
but it is requested that they stop usage at midnight prior to surgery. Patients who are using recreational cannabis need to stop 24 hours prior to surgery.
• Stop taking all over-the-counter supplements five (5) days before surgery, unless you have been instructed otherwise by your surgeon or the pre-operative nurse. If you are having surgery on your shoulder you need to stop NSAIDS such as Ibuprofen and Naproxyn 5 days before surgery.
• You must arrange for a ride home in advance. Your ride home should plan to stay at the surgery center during your procedure and needs to be available all day in case there are unexpected changes in the surgery schedule. Arrival times can be from 6 am to 3 pm. You will not be permitted to drive or take a cab home. You may not leave the facility alone. You may only be released in the care of a capable, responsible adult. You will need to have a caregiver stay with you the first night. This may be mandatory depending on the
procedure and should be discussed with your surgeon and the pre-operative nurse prior to your surgery date. Failure to have arrangements made may lead to a cancellation of your procedure.
• If you live out of town we suggest that you make arrangements to stay in Longmont the day of your surgery.
• Please do not bring children less than 16 years of age to wait while you have surgery. Children are not allowed in the pre-operative and post-operative areas (unless they are the patient).
• Wear loose, casual clothing the day of your surgery. If you wear glasses or contact lenses please bring a case or container for storage. Wear minimal make-up. Nail polish is discouraged and may need to be removed prior to surgery. If having hand surgery, any artificial nails must be removed from the operative hand. Please remove nail polish from at least one finger/toe on your operative extremity prior to your arrival. Leave all jewelry and valuables at home. The surgery center cannot be held responsible for them.
• Shower the morning of surgery with an antibacterial soap or hibiclens. Wash the operative area (unless in a cast) for approximately 5 minutes and if you are having shoulder surgery wash the armpit and do not wear deodorant.
• Do bring a copy of your insurance card and a method to pay co-payment if you have one. You can call your insurance carrier or the surgery center in advance to find out if you will be required to pay a co-payment on the day of surgery.
• Should your doctor feel admission to the hospital is necessary for your well being following surgery; arrangements will be made for your transfer.
• If, for any reason, you decide to cancel your surgery, please notify your surgeon at 303-772-1600 or Front Range Orthopedic Surgery Center at 720-494-3200. If your surgeon or the surgery center is not notified of your cancellation, you may be charged a $300.00 cancellation fee.
• If you arrive more than 15 minutes later than the requested arrival time your surgery will be cancelled.